Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Negative and Print, Score and Performance

Colin's post got me thinking about this whole score and performance metaphor, and I decided "What the heck. Let's just wade in a give it a try."

The original image, as captured by my camera:

Next, the version I made not long after making the exposure, some time back:

Foreground emphasized, sky slightly de-emphasized, overall tonality adjusted. I was aiming for a stronger feeling of depth to the photo.

And then finally, the version I just created this afternoon:

The second version is the result of starting over from scratch. It looks like this time around, I felt there should be more emphasis on the foreground fog 'glowing', I wanted the fading light in the sky to come off more magenta, and I wanted the clouds a bit more dramatic. That's a pretty minor change in direction and a conscious decision to 'turn up the volume' a bit more than I ordinarily would. All of these changes save the gradient burn on the last version will probably come off as pretty trivial when viewed in a 600 pixel jpg but would be fairly profound in a 15x22 print.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon Conkey said...

Hi Paul,

I agree the differences in effect are subtle on the web screen. However, you illustrate beautifully what you are actually doing. And one can see for themselves what is happening in each adjustment.

I cannot say enough how impressed I am with your portfolio of images on your site; I didn't see one I didn't like. As a painter, I am convinced you are capturing what few painters ever capture; mother nature is by far the most efficient artist known.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home