Saturday, December 16, 2006

Wind Storm


There have been no posts for the last few days because my area was hit by a massive windstorm. Power is out to a large number (hundreds of thousands) of people.

There's quite a bit of damage in the forest right where I live; the stretch of forest where this photo was made was just south (easy walking distance) of my home. It was essentially destroyed - I'm guessing that 50% of the trees are down across an area of 20 acres. The spot where this photograph was made is now a meadow about 5 acres in size; all of the trees in this photo were destroyed and are now on the ground.

But we are all fine here - no one hurt. Power is still out (but the generator is running). My internet connection, which went down Thursday evening, is now back. Things have been busy, and when I haven't been busy with a chain saw, I've been really, really tired. But things are starting to look semi-normal. I'll return to normal posting in the next few days.

3 Comments:

Blogger Billie Mercer said...

Oh, my. So sorry for what has happened. Just glad you are okay. I've missed your posts BTW.

7:38 PM  
Blogger chantal stone said...

I'm really sorry about the loss of the forest trees....but I'm glad you are doing well. Mother nature can surely be violent....all we can do is adapt.

Best to you and yours...

Chantal

9:46 PM  
Blogger Dwight Jones said...

I'll echo what Billie and Chantal said. Glad everyone's OK. Last winter we lost all big old trees on a ridge near my house. They were 300-400 years old. I was shocked, but we still find things to enjoy and photograph.

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home