Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Uniqueness and a Sense of Place



One of the comments I've been getting from several different reviewers of my ongoing photography of the Snoqualmie valley is "This photo doesn't belong in this series; it looks like it could be from anywhere, as opposed to just in the Snoqualmie valley."

I'm just not sure what to do with that comment. On the one hand, I can see what they're getting at. On the other hand, just because the work is about what the SV is like, does that mean that it must consist ONLY of photographs that can ONLY be made in the SV?

I don't think so. Part of what makes this place the way it is are aspects that it shares with other places. I don't want to exclude those aspects, just because they are shared with other rural areas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home